AmeriCorps VISTA Member/Tenant Organizer
The Urban Homesteading Assistance Board (UHAB) is seeking a full-time bilingual (preffered) AmeriCorps VISTA member* / Tenant Organizer for one year.
Since 1973, UHAB has been organizing low- and moderate-income tenants to fight poor living conditions in multi-family buildings neglected or abandoned by landlords. We have helped form hundreds of tenant associations and assisted in the transformation of some 1,600 distressed rental buildings into 1,200 affordable co-ops, providing homeownership opportunities for more than 30,000 households. By promoting self-help among residents, UHAB works to sustain this thriving affordable housing community.
Our activities include advocacy, tenant organizing, classroom and on-site management and maintenance training, direct technical assistance, development of new co-ops, development consulting, and special services to member co-ops, such as bookkeeping, insurance, legal advice, bulk purchasing, IT assistance, and cost-saving energy conservation tips.
- Receive training on organizing basics, affordable housing preservation strategies, and other relevant topics.
- Identify and reach out to buildings with deteriorating conditions and/or where affordability is at risk.
- Work with individuals and groups in a building to develop a strong tenant association.
- Assist residents with collectively identifying and implementing strategic plans for the preservation of their buildings.
- Mobilize residents to participate in the NYC affordable housing movement.
- Self-motivation, excellent organizational, follow-up, and interpersonal skills, as well as careful attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish, cultivate, and maintain relationships with many different types of individuals and groups.
- Comfort working with an economically, racially, and ethnically diverse population.
- Interest in social and economic justice and grassroots mobilizing.
- Computer literacy or willingness to learn.
- Ability to work well both as part of a team and independently.
- Bilingual English-Spanish.
- Tenant or community outreach and organizing experience.
- Leadership development, team building, and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience with federally-subsidized HUD or Mitchell-Lama buildings.
- Experience working with media and/ or elected officials.
- Experience training adults.
- About UHAB
- Co-op Members
- Support Us