UHAB Success Stories
Thanks to dedicated building residents, tireless UHAB staff, and the generous support of funders and individual donors, in fiscal year 2015, UHAB…
• Trained members of 30 tenant associations in transitional Brooklyn and Manhattan neighborhoods on their rights as rent-regulated tenants.
• Conducted Introduction to Limited-Equity Co-ops workshops for 507 people interested in becoming homeowners in UHAB’s network of affordable co-ops, creating a rich pool of qualified applicants for vacant apartments (from 4,637 workshop attendees since 2008).
• Provided technical assistance to members of co-ops and tenant associations during 3,600 site visits and phone consultations and 1,500 in-office visits.
• Enrolled more than 650 co-ops (with 10,559 families) in UHAB’s Fire and Liability Insurance Plan, with annual premiums totaling $4.6 million and a total insured value of more than $1.8 billion.
• Provided sustainable affordable housing for 32 additional low- and moderate-income households by converting two distressed rental buildings into shared-equity co-ops.
• Partnered with the CITGO/Citizens Energy Oil Heat Program to provide heating grants to HDFC co-ops, which collectively received some 115,000 gallons of oil, saving them more than $100,000.
• Supported shareholders in the successful development of the HDFC that now houses the Museum of Reclaimed Urban Space (MORUS) on the Lower East Side.
• Saved five struggling affordable co-ops from foreclosure by helping them secure $3.5 million in low-interest loans to cover overdue property taxes and water charges.
• Helped preserve a 15-unit shared-equity co-op with $670,773 in 8A loans for capital improvements.
UHAB in Action
- About UHAB
- Co-op Members
- Support Us