Legal Project Coordinator
The Urban Homesteading Assistance Board (UHAB) is seeking a full time Legal Project Coordinator to work on projects undergoing cooperative conversions.
UHAB empowers low- to moderate-income residents to take control of their housing and enhance communities by creating strong tenant associations and lasting affordable co-ops. Since 1973, UHAB has helped form hundreds of tenant associations and assisted in the transformation of some 1,600 troubled rental buildings into 1,200 affordable co-ops (HDFC co-ops), providing homeownership opportunities for residents of more than 30,000 apartments. With democratic community control at the core of our mission, we work to sustain this thriving affordable housing community for this generation and those to come.
We organize residents to be active participants and decision-makers in shaping their neighborhoods. UHAB’s programs address a full spectrum of affordable housing needs: from building resident power and organizing tenants as community leaders, to developing thousands of units of affordable housing across the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan, to making small loans to first-time homeowners, to preserving existing affordable co-ops through training, education workshops, technical assistance, and regulatory compliance. UHAB’s programs and activities address the needs of future generations through long-term solutions: developing new affordable co-ops, creating energy efficient and solar power opportunities, and strengthening housing policy.
The Project Coordinator will work closely with the Legal Department Director and other Co-op Development Department Project staff on work pertaining to cooperative conversions of low-income limited-equity homeownership projects. Since the legal process is an integral part of the creation of limited-equity cooperatives, the Project Coordinator will act as the liaison between the Department and the residents, ensuring that there are opportunities for participation in the legal process, as well as a solid understanding of the cooperative conversion process. The Project Coordinator will assist the Director with a multitude of internal legal tasks associated with the creation of affordable co-ops including corporate filings, agency compliance and record keeping. Duties will include assisting with the preparation of residents and buildings for real estate related closings, including bridge loans, construction loans, and permanent loans; assisting with resident readiness for homeownership, and compliance with NYS requirements for offerings in real estate. In addition, UHAB’s lending subsidiary processes and closes on small purchase loans to buyers in low-income cooperatives. Much of the oversight, administration and compliance falls within the responsibility of the Legal Department. All tasks will require a high level of attention to detail and organization, patience and a sense of humor. Legal experience, knowledge of real estate development and lending are preferred but not required.
The Project Coordinator will act as the main liaison between UHAB’s Legal Department, UHAB’s other departments, executive leadership, City Agencies, partners and Residents during the cooperative conversion process. They will be responsible for various administrative legal and compliance tasks as well as working with Tenant Association’s in achieving a series of milestones to meet the cooperative conversion process. This position will entail time working predominantly in the office but occasional evening work in the field will be required. Fluency in reading and writing Spanish preferred but not essential. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Becoming familiar with and fully understanding all legal documents associated with the cooperative conversion process.
- Being able to present all the legal documents on the cooperative conversion process to building residents.
- Maintaining orderly, up to date files for each development projects.
- Excellent time management.
- Filing and following up on all legal documents necessary for conversion with the appropriate government agency.
- Being able to identify problems early on during the cooperative conversion, and working to overcome obstacles independently or as part of a team.
- Assist in the preparation of legal documents for real estate closings from time to time, including clerical work.
- Assist in the growth and expansion of UHAB’s CDFI lending subsidiary, including program development and attending loan closings.
- Support a UHAB partnership in overseeing the administration of a New York City contract aimed at preserving future and existing cooperatives in distress.
The ideal candidate will be highly organized, detail orientated, have excellent reading and writing skills, a strong commitment to the cooperative housing movement, and an interest in the law. This person should also have:
- A solid knowledge of affordable housing and community development-preferably with specific knowledge of self-help cooperative housing;
- Basic knowledge and interest in the real-estate development process;
- Excellent research, reading, writing and oral communication skills;
- At ease hosting group meetings or trainings both in person and remotely;
- Very high level of energy and the ability to travel throughout the entire City to buildings; and
- An interest in the legal process, although prior experience is not mandatory.
- Must be a Notary Public, or being willing to take exam within 30 days of hire.
- Exceptional fluency in English and fluency in Spanish preferred.
UHAB’s work is carried out by over 30 staff members in our main office in Lower Manhattan. During the COVID pandemic we are working almost completely virtually, but expect to return to the office.
$50,550 annually, including a generous benefits package with both health and dental insurance
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Legal project coordinator.”
UHAB is an equal opportunity employer.