Part-Time: Resident Selection Coordinator
The Urban Homesteading Assistance Board (UHAB) is seeking a resident selection coordinator to help eligible New Yorkers secure affordable housing.
UHAB empowers low- to moderate-income residents to take control of their housing and enhance communities by creating strong tenant associations and lasting affordable co-ops. Since 1973, UHAB has helped form hundreds of tenant associations and assisted in the transformation of some 1,600 troubled rental buildings into 1,350 affordable co-ops, providing homeownership opportunities for residents of more than 30,000 apartments. With democratic community control at the core of our mission, we work to sustain this thriving affordable housing community for this generation and those to come.
We organize residents to be active participants and decision-makers in shaping their neighborhoods. UHAB’s programs address a full spectrum of affordable housing needs: from building resident power and organizing tenants as community leaders, to developing thousands of units of affordable housing across the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan, to making small loans to first-time homeowners, to preserving existing affordable co-ops through training, education workshops, technical assistance, and regulatory compliance. UHAB’s programs and activities address the needs of future generations through long-term solutions: developing new affordable co-ops, creating energy efficient and solar power opportunities, and strengthening housing policy.
The Resident Selection Coordinator is responsible to help eligible New Yorkers secure affordable homeownership or rentals in our city. The Resident Selection Coordinator will process and vet the housing applications of people seeking an apartment through the City’s various affordable housing programs. The ideal candidate will enjoy reviewing applicant income information, organizing applicant data and helping applicant households get into a new apartment they can afford. The Resident Selection Coordinator will apply the City’s rules for applicant eligibility diligently and consistently. Strong data management and people skills are essential for this job.
- Contact applicants in correct lottery log order through the City’s Housing Connect online system or through paper mail as required.
- Conduct eligibility appointments to collect and review household documentation to determine applicant eligibility.
- Complete and submit final applicant files to required regulatory agencies.
- Follow up on the application through the leasing/closing process to assist in and ensure applicant moves in.
- Manage applicant pipeline through the City’s Housing Connect system.
- Ensure timely responses to all emails and phone calls received.
- Responsible for any paper file completion and organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
Core Skills, Education and Experience:
- College degree or relevant experience.
- Housing application processing experience or mortgage processing experience preferred. LIHTC compliance experience a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite; must possess strong computer skills and typing abilities.
- Exceptional organizational skills including computerized data management
- Strong work ethic.
- Excellent communication skills and understanding of NYC’s merciless affordable housing market
- Able to work independently or under direct supervision.
- Commitment to housing justice and a positive attitude are equal to experience or education.
This job is expected to be 80% remote. Some of the responsibilities may involve working out of our office at 120 Wall Street.
This job will be 20 hours a week on average, Monday through Friday with a flexible schedule.
$30.00 per hour
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
UHAB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.